How Do I Know When My Nonimmigrant Status Expires?

Every nonimmigrant admitted into the United States is issued an I-94 Form reflecting their period of authorized admission. It is the date of authorized admission on the I-94 Form that determines how long you are legally authorized to stay within the United States—it is NOT the expiration date on your visa.

However, a person’s nonimmigrant status can be terminated due to events outside their control. For example, a temporary worker under H-1B status that is fired from his or her job before their period of authorized admission ends is given a grace period of sixty (60) days to find another job or to change/adjust status. After sixty (60) days, that person will begin accruing unlawful presence in the United States. If you find yourself in this situation, it is extremely important to seek legal advice from an experienced immigration attorney who can help explore suitable options for you and your family before it is too late.

The first step to take control of your situation is to familiarize yourself with the period of authorized admission listed on your I-94 Form.

What is the best way to contact your office if I need immediate legal advice regarding my immigration status?

You can e-mail us 24/7 at with any questions or concerns or call our office at (305) 448-0077 from 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M, Monday through Friday. You can also reach us 24/7 by visiting our website at and sending us your contact information.

We promise to accommodate you as soon as possible under the circumstances so that we can provide you with expert immigration advice tailored to the specific needs of each individual, family, or business. We are professionally trained to assess, adapt, and overcome in times of crisis.


More Posts

What is a Nonimmigrant Classification?

If the CBP officer grants the person admission into the U.S., the officer will use the classification listed on the visa to determine the period of authorized admission.